Of course this is strongly associated with personal taste but I will write my experience.
- www.pandora.com – really great radio station, choose your genre or artist and it will lead you through all variety of this type. unfortunately if you are fan of Iron Maiden, Blind Guardian, prog rock or irish folk you will be bored after 2 hours or less. Sadly not available in Poland – maybe some proxy will work but I wasn’t able to find one.
- kohina/demo scene – very good radio for long night coding sessions. I’m not big fan of demo scene but I appreciate what guys do and did. And somtimes you will hit Super Mario or Contra theme.
- post rock/math rock – if you like any variety of prog rock you probably know ProgArchives. It is really hard to find good prog rock radio where classics are well mixed with newcomers. I really like to listen guys like God Is An Astronaut, Explosions In The Sky, This Will Destroy You, 65daysofstatic, Red Sparowes or even Mogwai or Sigur Ros. Very good for programming if you drink cofee/tea
- movie soundtracks – This one I use when really need to concentrate especially when working daylight hours. What’s best here most of people will agree that Ennio Moricone, Vangelis and Hans Zimmer are famous one and most recognizable for my generation.
- breakbeat – this one reminds me some stories about mythical cyberpunk hackers, its usually noisy and help me isolate from environment and concentrate on my work. I will said that if you like freaked electronics than you can try this.
- dnb – if breakbeat is to hard for you try this . This music tune me in channel of rhythmical work.
- When googling this topic I found this site it was worth to check. Some links are broken. Most of those playlists have too low tempo for me.
I can also suggest some Irish Folk influenced stuff if don’t have “The End is near” wallpaper on your desktop There was a time when I was listen a lot of psybient, but it is really hard to find good psychodelic ambient radio and this music is for me more like movie soundtracks I cannot listen it at night. Hope it will give some kind of direction. Let me know what you listen when coding. Maybe I will discover new universe.